I’m one of those people that thinks everyone has a creative bone on their body. There’s right-brained thinkers and left-brained thinkers, but creativity is something that YOU create for yourself. It doesn’t matter if it’s black and white or bursting with color. No matter what your personality type is, you can benefit from creativity and imagination in your work and personal life. Here are a few of my favorite ways to get inspired to create:
- Get outdoors! I’m typing this as the temperature is -5 in northwest Illinois (ugh). But no matter what the temperature is, getting a breath of fresh air in the great outdoors is something that will instantly make you feel better.
- Go somewhere new: A new store, coffee shop, restaurant, or park is sometimes all you need to get some new ideas flowing. And if you can swing it, there’s NOTHING like getting inspired by a new country or state that you’ve never traveled to.
- Listen to some new music. I love scrolling through Spotify to discover some new tunes. For some reason, I’m usually most inspired by classic rock, female pop, acoustic, and reggae (probably just because it makes me think of the beautiful beaches I’ve been to – what’s more inspiring than that?! :))
- Join a group of inspiring people in your industry. I’m so thankful that I have a large online community of fellow freelancers that I can bounce ideas off of. There are tons of questions and ideas shared every day and this group of business owners has helped me in SO many ways!
- Work in small spurts. For me, being constantly tied to my computer screen is draining and un-inspiring. If I work on something for an hour or two, get up and do something else for a few minutes, then go back to work for an hour or two, and get up again, I am SO much more productive. Ultimately, find a work routine that works for you! I’ve found that sitting and staring at a screen for hours on end does NOT work for me. 🙂
- Do something you’ve never done before. This goes along with #2 – which shows you how important it is for your personal growth to try new things! Whether it’s starting a new project around the house, skydiving (sorry mom), or learning a new skill for your business, it’s sure to keep you inspired and open-minded.
- Exercise. I might get some *eye rolls* with this one – but I’m constantly reminded of how much exercise can help clear your head. And in my opinion, you don’t even have to go to the gym for this to be beneficial. Take a walk, or better yet, turn on some music and just move. There are tons of yoga, stretching, and mobility tutorial videos for FREE on YouTube. Stretching and trying new yoga moves is one of my favorite ways to improve my thinking and put me in a better mood.
I hope this list of ideas helps bring some positive vibes and creativity into your life. Do you have any other ways you clear your head in order for new ideas to flow in?
Big fan of number 1 🙂 Another great post Hopie!
It’s the most important one 🙂 thanks Dan!
leave us a comment!